Data Protection Info: Product Activation
How we respect and protect your privacy
You are about to download legacy software which contains a product activation feature.
If you choose to purchase a registration for the program you are about to download, you will need to activate the software, so that it can be unlocked completely. To complete this procedure, it will be necessary that data from your computer is transmitted to us via Internet. We respect and protect your privacy during this process. The following text describes in an easy-to-understand way what happens in this process and why we collect the data. We also inform you about your rights under applicable data protection law.
If you don't purchase a digital license for this software, you won't be affected by product activation.
Who are we?
Responsible for processing the data during product activation is:
Dr. Marcel Bresink
Protection of Children
The operations and services listed below are not directly targeted to children. If these services are used by children nevertheless, we assume that the consent of a parent or guardian has been obtained, or that the child has already reached the minimum age in the respective country to enter legally binding agreements regarding the respective service. If you believe that we have received data about a person protected under child protection laws where necessary parental consent was not obtained, please notify us immediately, and we will take reasonable steps to securely erase that data.
What data is processed during product activation?
Upon product activation, you will receive official confirmation that your purchased registration allows you to use this application on this computer. To do this, a short description of registration, program and computer has to be transferred to us. If you have complied with the terms of the signed license agreement, the application will receive a response that unlocks it.
The following personal data will be sent to us:
- Your purchased registration: it contains the name of the future user whose name you have specified to become the license holder during purchase, as well as a sequence of letters and numbers that identifies the registration as being genuine.
- a unique identifier of your computer: this identifier is computed based on individual features of your computer, for example its serial number or address numbers of its network interfaces. The original numbers are made unrecognizable. The identifier can only be used to recognize a particular computer. However, it is not possible to retrieve the original numbers from the identifier.
- Type and version number of the application: this determines which program you like to activate.
- Your Internet address: this identifier determines your current connection to the Internet. The address is needed to send the reply back to your computer. Under normal circumstances, we won't store this address permanently, but delete it after 15 minutes at the latest. Only in an event where your computer is clearly being used to harm our product activation process, for example through a targeted overload of our servers, the Internet address can be stored for a longer, indefinite period.
- an identification of your operating system: For technical reasons, the operating system you are using automatically adds an identifier of the component that established the network connection with us. We have no control over what particular data is collected here. The name and version number of your operating system can be included in this data.
Please note that we process data from children only in the event that a product is activated for or by a child.
If you do not provide the data necessary for the activation, this application cannot be used on this computer.
Why do we process this data and based on which laws? How long will the data be stored?
The mentioned data will be processed, so that you can use our software products immediately after a registration was purchased. To fulfill the sales contract for the digital software license, automatic product activation ensures that you can immediately utilize the application specified in the data with the specified registration on the specified computer. The activation procedure also serves for your and our safety in order to detect and to prevent misuse of the license. Therefore, it is in mutual interest. In certain cases, we may be forced to use such a procedure to comply with unfair competition law.
The Internet address is recorded in order to ensure the proper technical operation of product activation. It is only stored for as long as necessary for this purpose.
The identification of the operating system is only recorded for technical reasons and usually not evaluated. In individual cases, we can statistically evaluate this data to better estimate the need for products for different operating system versions. This data will be deleted automatically after 100 days at the latest.
The remaining data is stored as long as the activated application should be usable on the affected computer. If you wish, you can immediately delete the data by calling the application's function to remove a registration. Thereafter, the application will no longer be activated for this computer, so it can no longer be used directly.
Since the data is required for the fulfillment of the purchase contract, or respectively, for technical reasons for product activation, and since you have been informed about the use of this data, and you need to confirm your consent with the contents of this privacy statement, processing is legal under the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union.
Who gets the data?
We never share your personal information with third parties except in the following cases:
There is a legal obligation to share your personal information, such as when law enforcement or judicial authorities such as courts, prosecutors or police force us to do so.
A technical service provider who acts explicitly on our behalf helps us to process the data, for example when using an external provider's web server to supply reliable, globally accessible product activation. In doing so, we only use those service providers who are contractually obliged to ensure the protection of your data in accordance with the provisions of this data protection statement.
The data is both concealed and encrypted during transmission over the Internet, to ensure that unauthorized persons cannot gain direct access to the data.
What rights do you have regarding the processing of this data?
You can ask us for information about which personal data we process about you. You have the right to receive this data in a common computer format.
If the data is not (or no longer) accurate or incomplete, you may request that the data be corrected or supplemented. If the data is no longer needed for the above purposes or if you object to processing and there are no longer reasons for processing, you may request the immediate deletion of your personal information. This also applies if it turns out that the data was processed unlawfully or may no longer be processed because of other legal requirements.
For inquiries or objections, please use the contact information specified at the beginning. In addition, you have the right to lodge a complaint with an affected supervisory authority of the European Union (in Germany, for example, the State Data Protection Commissioner of your state) about the processing of your data.
The overall supervisory authority in charge for our location is:
The State Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information Rhineland-Palatinate
Hintere Bleiche 34
Fax: +49 (0) 6131 208-2497