Release 2.6 (Build 171025)
- Added new menu items to open the most important windows of the App via the context menu of the Dock.
- By request of many users, the Dock tile of Battery Monitor can now be removed after the menu-bar icon has been enabled (macOS Sierra or later only). The menu items of the App will then move into the menu of the status icon, making it possible to control the program from there.
Release 2.5 (Build 170808)
By user request, an optional menu-bar icon has been added for macOS Sierra. It can be used to indicate remaining runtime in the menu, or to get quick access to specific features.
Release 2.4 (Build 170510)
- Added a new feature to display the estimated error of the battery’s capacity value.
- Added a new feature to show an optional warning when the estimated error of the capacity value becomes too large and the battery needs to be re-calibrated.
- Added a new subsection in the reference manual to document the meaning of the battery defect list.
- By request, the user interface to control charge level display mode has been redesigned.
- Numerical readings in the main window are now presented more consistently with the user’s current locale settings.
Release 2.3 (Build 161214)
- Added support for computers with Touch Bar.
- Added new feature to suppress recording of capacity log data when the computer clock has lost its correct date setting.
- Added new feature to indicate the current charge state and the estimated remaining time in the context menu of the Dock tile.
Release 2.2 (Build 160920)
Optimized for macOS Sierra.
Release 2.1 (Build 160223)
- Added new feature to display technical details about the AC adapter.
- Added new feature to display defects of the battery unit.
- Added new status line to show the system’s health assessment on the battery unit.
- Added new status line to show the system’s recommendation to check or replace battery units.
- The user can now choose whether the App should show the percentage of the true physical charge level or of the fake user-presented charge level.
- Added new notification option to report when the fake 100% charge level presented to the user has been reached.
- In addition to the help book, the reference manual is now also available as printable PDF document.
- The design of the status indicators in the battery overview window now automatically matches the design of the running operating system.
- Because most portable Macs no longer support user-removable batteries, the “battery present” indicator was replaced by an “on reserve power” light.
- The features to process expected charge cycle lifetime, remaining operation time, and “on reserve” status of the battery have been enhanced.
- Fixed a problem with a spurious “on reserve” notification when connecting an AC adapter immediately after waking from sleep mode.
Release 2.0 (Build 150219)
- The application has been revised completely and is now optimized for the latest versions of OS X. Operating systems prior to OS X 10.9 and 32-bit processors are no longer supported.
- Updated technical information on the latest portable Macintosh computers and battery units.
- The support for high-quality speech output has been enhanced for non-English languages.
- The application now suppresses notifications on battery status changes immediately after waking from sleep mode to give the hardware more time to recover and stabilize.
- Added new feature to rename batteries in the capacity log.
- Added new feature to split a capacity log for specific cases where a replaced battery did not correctly identify as a different unit.
- Added workaround for a problem where OS X Yosemite did not update the display of history windows correctly when switching been head-up and standard display mode.
Release 1.8 (Build 140211)
- Added support for Timer Coalescing of OS X Mavericks to further enhance energy consumption.
- The user interface is now refreshed immediately after the computer is waking from sleep mode.
- Optimized several aspects of the user interface when the App is launched for the very first time or the first time after an update.
- Enhanced compatibility with certain graphics drivers.
- Updated some technical details in the reference manual for the latest Apple battery units.
Release 1.7 (Build 140122)
- Added support for the latest portable MacBook computer models.
- Added new option to display the history for capacity readings as percentage values instead of using mAh.
- Added new feature to display the actual detail reading when clicking on a point on a history curve.
- Changed some default colors for history curves to optimize readability independent of the selected background color.
- Enhanced refresh behavior for the different output windows.
- Due to limitations and technical issues of Growl when supporting native features of OS X Mavericks, 32 bit systems running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and the Mac App Store in one single App, support for Growl notifications had to be removed unfortunately.
- The reference manual has been revised and uses a new design.
Release 1.6 (Build 130222)
- Added new feature to display the expected remaining number of charge cycles after which Apple recommends to replace the battery unit.
- Added support for detecting the MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display.
- Enhanced compatibility with specific third-party battery packs.
Release 1.5 (Build 120814)
- Support for the Notification Center of OS X Mountain Lion was added. Notifications on charge or discharge operations can be shown this way if desired.
- Added feature to additionally show the estimated “remaining time to full” when charging.
- All new mobile Apple computers of the “Mid 2012” generation are now fully recognized.
- Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.7.4 was enhanced.
- The feature to stack history windows was optimized to better utilize space on small screens.
Release 1.4 (Build 120323)
- Added menu item and keyboard shortcut to open all history windows simultaneously.
- Added menu item and keyboard shortcut to close all history windows simultaneously.
- History windows now keep automatically open on relaunches, even if you don’t use Lion’s Resume feature.
- Added Lion support for all Growl features (not only standard notifications) when running Battery Monitor together with the Growl App for Lion. (Full Growl functionality was already present in previous versions when using the free version of Growl with Snow Leopard.)
Release 1.3 (Build 120207)
- Added new feature to monitor the current power of the battery in Watts.
- Added new feature to display a history curve for battery power.
- Additional operating system installations are now supported where users have intentionally deleted parts of the Mac OS X speech synthesizer to gain storage space. On damaged systems, the App automatically selects fallback voices or deactivates speech output.
- A problem was resolved where rounding errors affecting the computation of the time scale in history graphs could accumulate after longer times of operation. This could cause curves to appear horizontally compressed, showing readings “too early/too far left”.
- Compatibility with defective battery units has been enhanced.
Release 1.2 (Build 111230)
- Full support for new features of Mac OS X Lion has been added, including Resume and App Sandboxing.
- A new notification feature was added to inform the user optionally about full charge and discharge, as well as reaching 10 percent intervals during charge/discharge. Notifications can be delivered via speech output or Growl.
- A new optional warning feature was added to inform the user about long, possibly harmful periods of non-use of the battery during continuous operation on AC power.
- A new graphical view was added to make the long-time capacity history of a battery visible.
- Short-term readings and the long-time capacity log can be exported to CSV files, making the values available for database, visualization, or spreadsheet applications.
A synchronization marker can be shown in history diagrams, making it easy to coordinate exact event times in the history curves.
- The maximum time interval to show the graphic history of battery readings has been extended to 48 hours.
- It is now possible to delete capacity logs of decommissioned batteries.
- When switching the view style of history panels to conventional windows, dragging behavior and window level will now also be switched accordingly.
- History data will be saved to secure storage more often, in order not to lose data when testing defective, unreliable batteries.
- Less storage space is needed for the capacity log.
Release 1.1 (Build 110318)
- Added display line for estimated remaining battery time.
- Added feature to automatically synchronize the time axes of history windows if preferred by the user.
- Added feature to superimpose history windows.
- Added feature to group history windows, stacking them vertically.
- The capacity log will now always display the latest entry when opening the window.
- The history graphs are now scaled to rounded values, making it easier to read the axis labels.
- The grid of the history graphs is now organized in 4x4 fashion.
- Corrected a problem where the preference setting to suppress negative currents was not stored reliably.
- Corrected a problem where an inexact date of production was shown for particular MacBook models built in 2010 or 2011.
- Corrected a problem where a history window could not be opened under certain circumstances when using a 32 bit processor.
Release 1.0 (Build 110107)
First official version of Battery Monitor.